Friday, September 27, 2013

Lost in Translation

So 8 or 9 months ago, as I was getting up to leave Firefighter's to drive home one night, he made a statement that at the time, I took as a joke. "You live too far away". My answer was that since I own my home, he would need to be the one to move closer... And then I forgot about it as we seemed to settle into a pattern of me staying over on the Friday's that I took the boys to their dad, and Baby Girl would crash at a neighbours'.

And then strangely, it came up again Thursday night.

I was supposed to go to the Alehouse to watch the Niners game, but by the time 8pm rolled around, I was half asleep on the couch. I had told him earlier in the evening that sometimes it's no fun to watch the games alone. There was no hidden agenda to get him to come over to watch, it was just a simple statement that I prefer to watch some games with friends, but it prompted him to say that it was too bad we don't live closer together. Well, I wasn't going to go down that track again.

But now I wonder if I should have addressed it instead of changing the subject. Firefighter doesn't always come out with what he really wants to say, 99% of the time just hints around it. Especially the 'relationship' stuff. Like the steaks in his freezer that he made a point of telling me about last night. He's waiting for me to offer to cook them for him again, like last time (he doesn't cook). Sometimes I amuse myself, by being purposefully obtuse and making him spell it out... but there is only two ways that a conversation about the distance between our homes could go...

1. The distance is too far to maintain this 'friendship' for much longer
2. One of us has to move, and I own my home... but he would be moving further from his work.

I could drive myself nuts with various other scenarios, but I'm not going to. I think we're both a little surprised by where we've ended up, but we're willing to go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment