Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Spice things up a little

That is what NaijAmerican said I should rename my blog.

He's a new guy I just met and last night we spent a whopping 5 hours talking on the phone. Strangely no awkwardness. We work in the same industry and have a lot of the same interests... and problems with dating. He's a little younger than me, but only a couple of years. I can deal with that.

So he is taking me to dinner tonight. I hope. If the 5 hour conversation didn't scare him away. And I'm actually looking forward to it. One of the things I've struggled the most with Firefighter is that I always felt like I couldn't talk to him about work because it went over his head. It was soooooo nice to be able to vent the day's frustrations to Naij without having to explain environments, or processes. We have had similar experiences that we were able to laugh about. And he jokes. I've been feeling under the weather the last couple of days and when he had asked me to dinner I told him sure as long as it's not McDonald's and then told him about  the guy who seriously wanted to take me to McDonald's for dinner... I know its taboo to talk about previous dates or boyfriends, but that was a total deal-breaker for me. So even though that was a couple of days prior, he remembered and yesterday morning asked if I was still feeling up to dinner and was Waffle House OK.... naturally, I took a minute to respond. I had to run through the thoughts in my head: Was he joking, was it a clever reference to McDonald's? Or is he serious? He said he likes soul food... maybe he's just not a upscale restaurant kinda guy.... Against my better judgement, I went with he was serious and told him that if he's changed his mind then fine, I don't want to play games.... uhhhhh.... he was joking. McDonald's. SMH.

So then later he asked when my birthday was and when he found out he had just missed it, he decided that he was going to take me out for a birthday dinner and take me somewhere a little more upscale than he originally planned... The restaurant of choice is Firefighter's original choice. Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse. So when I told Ms Pope, she got in on the game and said she would find a way to post something on Instagram... So now I just have to hope that Naij is as good in person as he was on the phone. It would suck if the spark wasn't there, but he is still a fun guy, great to talk to, we'll see if he keeps our dinner plans.

I'm not really in the mood to talk about Firefighter. He's already made assumptions that I am free all weekend and has planned on coming over to eat my Thanksgiving leftovers both Saturday and Sunday. I sometimes wish I had that vindictive streak in me that would allow me to tell him I'm busy, but who knows? Maybe Naij will be a winner and it won't be a lie...

A deeper part of me secretly hopes that Firefighter really wants to be with me and realises it sooner rather than later. How ironic would be after he told me I should date other people, that I meet someone who wants what I want? So the plan is to treat him like a king for his birthday, be slightly less available, maybe give him Christmas and then just float around and see what he does. I feel like I've vested more than a year in him, give him that one last opportunity....

No comments:

Post a Comment