Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Spaghetti Tuesday

It's been a while since I had a funny story to tell about my kids. Well, I've had plenty, but I've been so busy I haven't had time to share them.

So every Tuesday we have spaghetti. It just sort of became a thing. We do pizza on Fridays, the rest of the week is a crap shoot based on what's in the pantry and my desire to cook....

Anyway, the weather has been unseasonably 'cool'. By cool I mean that instead of the usual 100° July heat, it's been in the mid 80°'s to mid 90°'s so the kids have been outside much more than usual. When I got home from work last night the boys were FULL of energy, running around acting like idiots, so I sent them outside, poured a glass of wine and had a chat with my sister. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed having an adult to come home and share my day with!! I told the kids to be home by 7pm and I'd have dinner on the table. Well, apparently Little One has been paying attention and knows how long it takes to make spaghetti... in he trekked at 6:30 and started pulling everything I need out to make the spaghetti... He knew ALL the ingredients. My sister and I almost died laughing!! I had to ask him "Babe, are you hungry" to which he gave me one of those 'looks' that tell me I'm an idiot and said "Yes, mum" and wandered off... Dinner was on the table right on time, lol!!

On a serious note. My sister is not a demonstrative type. You can tell when she likes you (she voluntarily talks to you, lol), but she's not really into PDA - Public Displays of Affection  (or even PDA - Private Displays of Affection), but she said something to me last night that brought tears to my eyes. She told me that she doesn't know how I cope on my own with three children and working full time and that our older sister has had it easy with help from our mum and her mother-in-law right around the corner, not to mention our fabulous brother-in-law who seems to be just about perfect. And she doesn't work full-time, just school hours. She thinks I'm a rock star for doing it without help. I've mentioned before that it's hard to always keep my struggle to myself because everyone expects me to be their rock, so it was nice (?!) to hear from someone that they are impressed with how I've managed. So while my road has had it's obstacles, and there are still a few hurdles on the horizon, I can almost see the finish line so to speak. Having my lil sis in my corner is nice. I don't feel so alone anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment